Photo Box: Keeping the Film Alive with William Lutz


For the past weeks, the Davaoist has featured photographers who use the latest technology available. Let's admit it. We are at an era where cameras have the highest pixel number possible along with the highest performance optics. However, this time, the Davaoist is doing something different. For the first time, we're putting the spotlight on the non-conforming: a film user.

William Lutz was born in Davao City. He practically grew up here and later discovered the fun in film photography. For most film users I know like him, film photography offers that rawness and simplicity. At an age where everything is sharp and perfect to the point of being non-realistic, film mimics what our eyes can see. It somehow puts us in a state of validity that things are not and could not be perfect. Looking at his work for the first time, I was immediately transported 15 years back where life in general was just like his post processed photos: simple, colorful yet full of obscurity and wonder. 

To let you inside William's thoughts about his art, here's a peek of our short interview:

Why did you decide to get into film photography? What's the story behind it?
"I decided to explore the world of film photography because I found it more challenging and exciting than its digital counterpart where you spend most of your time reviewing your shots on the screen. I also love its vintage effect and I don't even have to edit the photos."
What was your very first camera? What do you use now?
"My first camera was a Sony DSC-W150. Now I have a 1959 Asahi Pentax S2, and a 1966 Minolta  SR-T 101. I also use a Canon A35 Datelux Rangefinder and some other compact cameras in which some, I have already sold. Other than that, I have a Nikon D5100." 
          Man, this guy surely has a lot of good stuff in his backpack!

Do you process your own photos? If yes, did you setup your dark room all by yourself? If not, where do you get them processed?
"I don't process my own photos. I go to Mitsubishi in Gaisano South Ilustre for that."

Now that you are surely fascinated with William's insight on film photography and his excellent collection of gears, there's nothing left to do but appreciate his work!











It brings me nostalgia each time I see his work. For you to see more, visit William's Facebook page!


LIKE THE DAVAOIST ON FACEBOOK

1 comment: